Supervising Staff Attorney
The Supervising Staff Attorney will oversee the legal services program and supervise a legal team consisting of BIA accredited representatives, Immigrant Justice Corps fellows, and support staff. The Supervising Staff Attorney will have an opportunity to work in a diverse collaborative environment, providing direct services and working closely with social services providers and community partners. The Supervising Staff Attorney is responsible for the day-to-day management of the legal services program. The Supervising Staff Attorney will maintain their own caseload of immigration and family law matters. This position is located in our main office in the South Bronx.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Maintain own caseload of immigration matters including VAWA self-petitions, Battered Spouse Waivers, U/T Nonimmigrant Visas, Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status and civil legal matters representing litigants in family and matrimonial cases including orders of protection, custody, child support, and uncontested and contested divorces. Conduct on and off-site legal screenings and consultations and make appropriate social and legal services referrals.
· Supervise legal services team consisting of BIA accredited representatives, Immigrant Justice Corps fellows, and support staff with supervisory functions including reviewing light-touch and complex immigration matters, case reviews, mentoring staff, providing feedback on written material and oral advocacy.
· Collaborate with community partners such as schools, mosques, churches, ethnic associations, parent associations, and community and legal services organizations to host legal clinics, Know Your Rights presentations and community outreach events.
· Work in partnership with Bronx Legal Services, co-grantee, to make cross referrals, plan outreach events and legal clinics, and receive supplemental supervision on complex immigration and family law matters.
· Represent Sauti Yetu on committees and working groups to address social and legal needs of African immigrant communities.
· Apply for funding opportunities and manage outcomes goals for federal, state, city and private grants. Support fundraising efforts for the organization overall.
At least 3-5 years of experience as an attorney in the field of immigration and civil legal services. Experience in family/matrimonial law a plus. Supervising and managing experience preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Strong verbal, writing, analytical, and organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines; ability to relate well to diverse groups of individuals and families; work well in team and partnership environment.
Demonstrated and strong litigation and trial experience in Family Court, Supreme Court and/or Immigration Court.
Demonstrated experiencing working with survivors of intimate partner violence, sexual assault, trafficking, forced and early marriage, and survivors of gender-based violence.
Demonstrated commitment to representing a client population that is Limited English Proficiency and has been traditionally disenfranchised, particularly African immigrant communities.
Commitment to community-based model of providing social and legal services and experience working in fast-paced and multidisciplinary setting with social workers, lawyers, and case managers.
Admission to New York Bar. Applicants with proficiency in French or other African languages are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, and list of three references with “Supervising Staff Attorney” in the subject line to: Zeinab Eyega at firstname.lastname@example.org and Human Resources at email@example.com.