Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon’s mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The Supervising Social Worker (SSW) provides supervision to a team of case managers and provides direct client services to individuals and families impacted by violence including intimate partner and family violence, sexual assault, and homicide. The SSW also oversees the Rape Survivor Advocate (RSA) Program based in the Staten Island Community Program.
Essential Job Functions:
Recruit train and supervise volunteer Rape Survivor Advocates (RSA)
- Provide individual supervision and conduct bi-monthly meetings for advocates
- Maintain accurate records of advocate hours, ongoing training and case descriptions
- Oversee adherence to the NY State Department of Health Confidentiality Privilege Certification
- In partnership with the Director of the program, recruits, hires and trains staff, and manages staff performance in accordance with agency policy;
- Assist the director with monitoring the flow of daily program demands to ensure consistency and quality client centered services;
- Provides support to program staff in the absence of program director;
- Conducts client centered safety assessment and risk management planning to a small caseload of victims of crime and abuse, including children;
- Provides crisis intervention, short term supportive counseling and case management services;
- Advocates for clients for public entitlements with systems and other agencies, where necessary, such as obtaining orders of protection, help with hospital/medical related needs; Office of Victims Services compensation, and relocation assistance;
- Provides information and referral for clients for services such as shelters, mental health treatment, public assistance and other entitlements;
- Provides emergency practical assistance for clients including transportation, food vouchers, financial assistance, emergency cell phones, and lock replacement;
- Conducts educational presentations and training and participates in outreach events for community groups about sexual assault, domestic violence and other related topics;
- Participates in staff meetings, community meetings and relevant training and seminars;
- Performs data entry into a computerized record keeping system and maintains thorough and accurate case records and statistics;
- Works collaboratively with other Safe Horizon programs to facilitate linkages for clients;
- Works collaboratively with other Safe Horizon administrative and operations department;
- Various other duties to be determine by supervisor.
- Varying number of RSAs
- Provision of ad-hoc supervision to one Senior Case Manager and two Case Managers
- MSW intern(s)
Experience and Skills:
- Experience working in a social service setting providing short-term counseling
- A sound knowledge of victimization issues, a general knowledge of various treatment modalities (e.g. trauma treatment models, domestic violence treatment models).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills-must have the ability to be assertive
- Strong interpersonal relationship and crisis management skills;
- The ability to balance administrative responsibilities, client needs and task
management skills are required;
- Organized and detail oriented
- Computer literate (including Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Good presentation skills
- MSW degree required,
- LMSW or eligibility required.
- Must be a team player plus, be able to work with minimum supervisory oversight
- Individual must have the ability to work in a crisis-driven setting;
Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner.
- Willing and open to being trained in client centered practice
- Willing to participate in a learning community
Flexible, willing to work evenings, and weekends as needed.