Title: Two full-time attorney positions:
- Supervising Attorney
- Staff Attorney
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Generous salary and benefits package offered. Salary will be determined depending on experience.
- Supervising Attorney: Salary for this position is in the range of $85,00-$90,000
- Staff Attorney: Salary for this position is in the range of range is $62,000-$67,000
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault (the Alliance) strives to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy.The Alliance was founded in 2000 in order to represent the interests of survivors and the programs that assist them at the city-wide level. For nearly two decades the Alliance has been an active force, fighting to prevent sexual violence and bringing the needs of the survivors to the forefront in New York City.
Since 2014, our direct service program –the Alliance for Advocacy(AFA) has been assisting survivors of sexual violence by serving as a citywide referral hub, and providing crisis counseling support, systems advocacy, and accompaniment. The Alliance Legal Services Program (ALSP), an extension of the direct services program, will combine legal services with our expertise in trauma-informed care. The program will provide legal advocacy and representation to survivors of sexual assault including those utilizing the services of AFA. This will allow for the extension of our existing role as a citywide referral hub to providing a centralized source of legal assistance for survivors in the New York metropolitan region.
The Alliance is seeking experienced candidates for two full-time attorneypositions – a Supervising Attorneyand a Staff Attorney, to join our team. The legal team will provide in-house legal assistanceto survivors of sexual assault across all five boroughs. The program aims to provide legal representation and advocacy in the following areas: some family court cases, campus adjudication processes, special immigration visas, and relevant housing, financial and credit issues. The Supervising Attorney will bringto the team significant litigation experience in at least two of the abovementioned legal areas. TheStaff Attorneywill possess some experience in at least two of those legal issue areas. The estimated case load of the two in-house attorneys will be 25-30 cases each at any given time, including referrals from the NY Crime Victim Legal Network. The legal team will be assisted by legal interns who will support with case preparation, legal research, managing case files, intakes on less complex cases, individual and criminal advocacy and accompaniment. An administrator will also support the legal program.
- The Alliance Legal Services Program (ALSP) will provide survivors with holistic, culturally responsive and trauma-informed legal services in the following areas:
- Criminal advocacy and accompaniment;
- Representation in a range of immigration-remedies including U, T, removal defense, asylum, and VAWA Self-petitions;
- Representation in family court including orders of protection, child support petitions and legal advocacy in cases of ACS involvement;
- Legal advocacy and representation with campus adjudication processes including assistance with the investigation process, support with obtaining interim measures such as safety protections, “no-contact” orders, assistance with Title IX complaints to the federal Office of Civil rights (if deemed necessary by the Supervising Attorney) etc.
- Legal advocacy on housing, financial and credit issues that may arise in the aftermath of trauma; and
- Legal advocacy in non-consensual pornography and technological abuse cases.
- Provide sexual assault survivors with comprehensive legal consultations, representation, and referrals.
- Work collaboratively withthe Alliance Direct Services program (Alliance for Advocacy) staff to ensure critical needs of survivors are appropriately addressedby coordinatingintake process that will accommodate survivors who approach the program directly or through referralsfrom partner organizations.
- Offer clients with crime victim claim information as well as assistance in filing compensation claims.
- Participate in weekly intake and case assessment meetings.
- Participate in the collection of accurate client services data.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, the intervention and fiscal team to ensure timely completion of deliverables
- Assist with other assigned tasks as needed.
Qualifications/Skills forthe attorney positions: The Alliance is seeking candidates for two full-time positions – a Supervising Attorneyand a Staff Attorneywith the following qualifications/ skills:
- JD degree and admitted to practice law in New York and in good standing required;
- A minimum of 4-6yearsof professional experience for the Supervising Attorneyposition and 2-3 years for the Staff Attorney position in sexual violence or a related field;
- Supervising Attorney must possesslitigation experience and some knowledge of at least three of the following legal areas: family, criminal, immigrationand/or Title IX. Staff Attorney must possesscomplimentary experience in at least two of the legal areas above.
- Experience working with trauma survivors and/or underserved communities;
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and/or another language strongly preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to interface with partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to work collaboratively and across issue area with diverse communities and institutions.
How to Apply?
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume as one document to the attention of: Mary Haviland, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the attorney position you are applying for in the subject line.
Although the closing date is December 7, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will be removed once the position has been filled.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultural diversity, diversity of gender expression and open to candidates of all ages and physical ability. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.