Report to: Executive Director
Salary: In the range of $80,000 – 88,000. Title and salary are commensurate with experience
About the Organization The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault (the Alliance) strives to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy. The Alliance is a city-wide umbrella organization for the rape crisis programs that represents the needs of survivors of sexual assault and the programs that serve them. Please visit our website for more information: www.svfreenyc.org
Position Description: The Alliance is seeking an individual experienced in sexual violence prevention who would like to step into a leadership position at the Alliance. Depending on applicant skills and experience, this individual will spend approximately 60% of their time supervising the Alliance prevention programs and 40% of their time supervising policy work and organizational operations.
In prevention, the Alliance develops and advances strategies, policies, and responses that prevent sexual violence and limit its destabilizing effects on victims, families, and communities. We provide technical assistance, capacity building and training on prevention methods in the field state-wide and collaborate with community partners to run on-the ground prevention efforts. We also work closely with the New York State Department of Health to achieve the goals of the NY Sexual Violence Prevention Plan.
We are seeking a strategic thinker and thought leader who would provide expertise and technical assistance on evidence informed prevention practices as well as identify and advance policy priorities on the youth and nightlife prevention initiatives. We also seek skills in providing technical assistance to rape crisis centers on issues facing their programs as well as expertise in campus sexual assault. An ideal candidate will bring to this position demonstrable experience in running outcome-oriented programming, managing conversation and task forces with stakeholders and senior leadership both on campus and with community partners, prompting stakeholders to review policies, programs, and procedures to strengthen institutional response to sexual violence. The candidate will be responsible for scaling up prevention efforts across four core programming areas: healthy nightlife and youth program, statewide training and technical assistance to rape crisis centers and the campus initiative. The person in this position will participate in efforts to assure future funding of these programs.
This position also offers the opportunity of providing leadership and oversight to policy efforts and organizational operations of the Alliance. The Alliance supports an active policy program that advocates for improvements in: acute response, healing services, funding for programs that assist survivors, access to justice as well as policies that result in the prevention of sexual violence. This position will support the efforts of Executive Director in this arena as well as coordinate various organizational efforts in service of advancing an agency-wide policy agenda.
With a staff of 18 employees, the Alliance has robust communications, fundraising and finance components. This position also holds the possibility of supervising portions of these operational components of the Alliance depending candidate experience.
This leadership position will report directly to the Executive Director.
Specific responsibilities inherent to the position include:
• Staffing and leading the direction of all Alliance facilitated prevention efforts including supervision of program staff and consultants and provision of programming;
• Development, execution, and facilitation of new training programs and initiatives related to prevention, training and technical assistance and campus;
• In collaboration with the fiscal team, management of grant contracts associated with the above listed programs, including; developing and executing work plans, budget development, and reporting;
• Ensure compliance with funding requirements, and when needed high-level communication with funders, stakeholders and community partners;
• Participation / co-leadership in various citywide coalitions and task forces;
• Working with the Alliance leadership team to develop new programs and funding opportunities; working with Development, Fiscal, and Program heads to develop cohesive strategies and content;
• Working with the Director of Communication & Development to promote media coverage; and
• Working with the Executive Director, to oversee and coordinate Alliance policy efforts to improve conditions for survivors of sexual violence.
Qualifications/Skills: The Alliance is seeking candidates who possess:
• Masters’ degree required preferably in Public Health, Public Policy, Gender Studies or a related field;
• A minimum of 8-12 years of full-time professional experience in sexual assault or a similar field;
• Demonstrable knowledge and experience in two or more of the following areas strongly desired: evidence informed sexual violence prevention programs; best practices in capacity building and technical assistance delivery, data-driven programing; developing and implementing prevention initiatives at the social and/ or community-level (of the socio-ecological model); experience with building evidence-base for programming;
• Experience in overseeing one or more operational component of a non-profit organization;
• Demonstrated skills in supervision and development of staff;
• Experience developing and implementing successful training and technical assistance initiative.
• Proven experience in handling multiple stakeholders and partners to ensure timely performance of project deliverables strongly desired;
• Demonstrable skills in program design, and project management including budgets; as well as ability to guide staff from program planning to execution strongly desired;
• Experience and knowledge in evaluation tools and data collection methods desired.
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively and across issue area with diverse communities and institutions.
• Sensitivity to the impact of sexual violence in diverse and marginalized communities and the ability to articulate these concerns to various stakeholders in a sensitive and respectful manner;
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced multi-racial environment, and commitment to social justice practice;
• Experience working on policy issues preferable; and
• Dedication to using a social justice, anti-oppression framework in order to carry out work.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and a cover letter as one document to the attention of Mary Haviland, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Although the closing date is October 31st, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will be removed once the position has been filled.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultural diversity, diversity of gender expression and open to candidates of all ages and physical ability. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.