Girls for Gender Equity:Sisters in Strength Youth Organizer
Organization: Girls for Gender Equity
August 1, 2012
Girls for Gender Equity (GGE) is accepting applications for the next cycle of the Sisters In Strength (SIS) Youth Organizer Program through August 7, 2012 at 6:00pm. This 2-year youth leadership program is for young women of color entering 10th or 11th grade of high school in the New York City area. Programming is shaped both by the unique needs and interests of the SIS cohort, and by GGE’s vision, mission, and goals. SIS does community organizing around gender-based violence and confronts the multiple layers of individual and institutional discrimination that threaten the safety of girls and women.
Download application below.
Year 1: Community Organizing 101
Year 2: Community Organizing Project
- Build community organizing skills
- Develop social justice analysis
- Engage in community organizing actions
- Collaborate to conceptualize project for Year 2
Ongoing Leadership Components:
- Identify a problem within the scope of gender-based violence
- Collaborate with and mobilize community members to action
- Evaluate the process
- Monthly peer workshops and counseling about the college process with former SIS youth organizers.
- Quarterly check-ins with a Masters of Social Work intern. At GGE, we firmly believe that transformational leadership and community organizing are linked to personal wellness. Our structure includes circles of support at every level, from interns to management.
- Facilitate workshops with middle school students based on what you’re learning at GGE.
Contact Nefertiti Martin, GGE Community Organizer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-857-1393 ext.102, with questions.
To submit an announcement for listing on The Alliance site, fill out this
All announcements, events, jobs, and volunteer opportunities will be compiled in a weekly email digest. To ensure timely delivery of your announcement, please submit it by Tuesday of each week.
For more information, our editorial policy, or other questions, please contact the
Web Manager at
by phone at