Title: Policy Intern
Reports to: Assistant Director of Prevention & Policy
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault (the Alliance) is a non-profit in the city whose mission is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy.
The Alliance serves all five boroughs and works closely with rape crisis programs, hospitals, District Attorney’s Office, New York City Police Department and city leaders to develop and implement best practices in the treatment of and response to sexual assault survivors. We are a Regional Sexual Assault Prevention Center for NYC and have one of the largest Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Training Institutes in New York State. We are seeking a talented, dedicated graduate student intern who can work on policy and advocacy components of our work. Will provide necessary documentation for credit if available and desired.
• Support legislative efforts that are raised during NYC and state legislative sessions by conducting research, preparing memorandum of support and working with partners on advocating for specific legislative and policy changes;
• Work with the New York City Council Members and NYS Legislators on sexual assault issues;
• Continue the work of the annual campaign to assure funding for the Rape Crisis Centers in New York State in collaboration with coalition partners;
• Support advocacy efforts aimed at Alliance legislative priorities;
• Assist with organizing meetings for representatives of Rape Crisis Centers with major stakeholders in the field to promote victim-centered policies and practices in NYC;
• Update summaries of policy work for Alliance website;
• Support other policy efforts and offering support with specific tasks as necessary.
• Excellent research and organizational skills
• Attention to detail, along with ability to work independently and creatively
• Law Student or Graduate student in Public Policy, Public Health, Social Work or related field needed
• An interest in working with an anti-violence organization and with a passion for working to reduce the harm caused by sexual violence
• Excellent interpersonal, communications and organizational skills, proficient in Microsoft office and web browsers, ability to treat confidential information appropriately, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and attention to details are important
• Experience working with New York City Council Members and NYS Legislators offices a plus
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume as a single word or pdf document to: email@example.com
with the subject line: “Policy Intern”. Candidates may be asked to submit writing samples and supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, disability or gender identity. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.