Bronx Legal Services seeks a full-time staff attorney in the Family and Immigration Unit. Bronx Legal Services, the Bronx office of Legal Services NYC, fights poverty and seeks racial, social, and economic justice for low-income New Yorkers. Bronx Legal Services advises and represents Bronx residents through its family and immigration, LGBTQ advocacy, housing, foreclosure, education, public benefits, disability, unemployment, consumer law, and tax units.
The Family and Immigration Unit of Bronx Legal Services represents people in Family and Supreme Court in matters involving custody/visitation, child/spousal support, orders of protection, and divorce, and handles requests for U and T nonimmigrant status, VAWA self-petitions, battered spouse waivers, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, permanent residency, citizenship, family-based petitions, and consular processing. The unit also conducts trainings in family and immigration law for community members and advocates throughout the Bronx and facilitates the Bronx Immigration Partnership and the Bronx Domestic Violence Roundtable.
The staff attorney will represent and advise people harmed by violence in their immigration and family law matters. The staff attorney will advise and represent clients seeking asylum, U and T nonimmigrant status, VAWA self-petitions, Battered Spouse Waivers, and SIJS petitions, and will represent clients in custody/visitation, family offense proceedings, child support, and divorce matters in Family and Supreme Court. In addition, the staff attorney will conduct civil legal screening for clients at the Bronx Family Justice Center. The staff attorney will be supervised by the Family and Immigration Unit Director.
The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities will include:
- Advising and representing immigrant survivors in cases filed with federal administrative bodies and federal district and appellate courts
- Advising and representing survivors of violence in custody/visitation, family offense, child/spousal support, and divorce cases filed with Family and Supreme Courts in New York City
- Conducting civil legal screening at the Bronx Family Justice Center
- Collaborating with Family and Immigration Unit staff attorneys and paralegals on litigation matters and strategies
- Preparing data reports, as necessary
- Representing Bronx Legal Services at community events
- Collaborating with the city, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, other city, state, and federal government agencies and community-based organizations.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience practicing immigration and family law preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and commitment to working with low-income immigrants
- Outstanding organizational, planning and time management skills
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language in the communities we serve preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Outstanding communication, research, and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Deep understanding of and ability to work well with people of diverse national, ethnic, cultural, religious, and socioeconomic backgrounds
The salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience (determined by Collective Bargaining Agreement). Excellent medical, pre-tax flexible benefits and retirement plans along with generous annual and sick leave.
To apply for the position, send your resume, cover letter, recent writing sample, and names of three (3) references to:
Assistant to Project Director
Bronx Legal Services
349 East 149th Street, 10th Floor
Bronx, New York 10451
All applications should be submitted via e-mail to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
The subject line should read: “Staff Attorney, Family and Immigration Unit”
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no telephone calls and no mailed applications.
Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people over the age of 40 are all welcome and encouraged to apply.
Bar Associations and other Organizations: Bronx Legal Services seeks and welcomes your recommendations for candidates who meet the foregoing qualifications and, in addition, request that you or your organization encourage such candidates to apply.