If you have been sexually assaulted within the past 96 hours, you can go to any hospital Emergency Department and request a sexual assault medical exam. However, some hospitals have enhanced care. These hospitals, which are designated as SAFE Designated Center, will provide the following services:
- Timely, compassionate, and survivor-centered medical care, in a designated and appropriately equipped private room.
- An advocate, who if available, can offer information, support, advocacy, and referrals.
- Treatment to prevent pregnancy and reduce risk of the transmission of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV.
- The services of a Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE), a medical professional who has been specially trained to provide care to sexual assault survivors, including forensic evidence collection.
- Referrals to mental and physical health care services.
- If you choose – you can talk to the police.
Search our NYC Center Locator to find a SAFE Center near you.