NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
Title: Campus Intern
Report to: Campus Sexual Assault Coordinator
Hours: Minimum 15 hrs per week
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault (the Alliance) is a non-profit in the city whose mission is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy.
Background and Role
The Alliance serves all five boroughs and works closely with rape crisis programs, hospitals, District Attorney’s Office, New York City Police Department and city leaders to develop and implement best practices in the treatment of and response to sexual assault survivors. The Alliance is also a Regional Center for Sexual Assault Prevention, and works within communities, colleges and universities, and nightlife establishments on trainings to prevent occurrences of sexual violence.
In 2015, Governor Cuomo passed Education Law Article 129-B, otherwise known as Enough is Enough (EIE). 52 agencies in NY State received automatic funding to conduct services and education to NYS colleges and universities, including the Alliance. The Alliance’s Campus Program houses the Campus Training Institute (CTI), which provides trainings to approximately 15 campus partners on trauma-informed and survivor-centered response services, as well as intersectional community-based primary prevention work. In addition to CTI, the Campus Program also encompasses two volunteer-based programs to engage students and faculty from our campus partners, The Student Volunteer Program (SVP), and the Faculty Advisory Board (FAB). This role will report to the Campus Sexual Assault Coordinator and support them with strategic campus programming, workshop facilitation, advocacy, and volunteer coordination.
We are seeking a talented, dedicated graduate student intern who can support our statewide campus and/or nightlife training initiatives. This internship is unpaid but we can provide necessary documentation for credit to support students in this way if available and desired.
· Facilitating Campus Training Institute (CTI) workshops and trainings to students, faculty, and staff
· Facilitating nightlife workshops and training relevant to the Campus Program
· Coordinating the Student Volunteer Program and the Faculty Advisory Board recruitment and application process
· Attending campus sexual violence prevention events e.g. tabling
· Creating social media content for the Student Volunteer Program Instagram page
· Conducting research and resource development on emerging issues regarding sexual violence and campus sexual assault
· Tracking national and statewide trends and policies regarding survivor rights and campus sexual assault laws, and working with partners and stakeholders on advocacy initiatives
· Other tasks as needed.
· Graduate student
· Campus and/or nightlife facilitation experience
· Prior experience working in anti-violence programs/initiatives preferred
· Dedication to intersectional approaches
· Ability to work creatively and independently
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills, proficient in Microsoft office and web browsers, ability to treat confidential information appropriately, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and attention to details are important in a fast-paced work environment.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Alliance is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We work to reflect the diversity of New York City. Everyone is encouraged to apply including people of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with disabilities.